SC - Very OOP for the Adventurous Cook

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Feb 16 22:49:21 PST 2001

> You're from the NJ area of the East Kingdom, aren't you? Hartshorn-dale
> (Bucks County PA) does some interesting dayboards involving fruit, nuts
> and other nuncheon-type foods. Kyle McCue (sp?) did an excellent dayboard
> for the Southern Region Arts Exhibition two years ago in Rusted Woodlands.
> One of the outstanding features was Savory Toasted Cheese.

the spelling is close... its Kael  (short for Mikael)

Having done a number of dayboards, and been told that some of my "dayboards
have been better than some of feasts", I have learned a number of things.
First off, people like variety.  They want a varied spread of foods.
Likewise, they want different foods from one dayboard to the next.

One of the tricks I have used is to serve some broiled chicken legs, thighs,
and wings.  I make them up in a variety of fashions, seasoning them with
different spices.  They're cheap, easy and people think its cool that there
is "real meat' on the day board.   Meat loafs also go over well.

As to how to handle the feastocrat, I would say use as much tact as
possible.  You might try to play on his vanity....  "we seem to have some
extra money in the budget... are there any period recipes that you have
wanted to experiment with?" or "any chance that you might serve the
such-and-such that you made for whatever...... I really loved that"

you might also want to say that the dayboard is a little vegetarian light.

But one thing to remember... and something I tell my college students all
the time......  There is nothing wrong with getting a C.  The purpose of the
dayboard is to feed people, as long as you do that, you've done the job.

Not everyone is out to get a standing ovation for their cooking..... (yes
there is a story about that comment.... I'll type it up soon... :)   Try to
find out just what his motivations are... and try to work with him...

Kael