SC - Chicken Feet

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Feb 16 23:16:03 PST 2001

Bonne replied to my message with:
> >temperature was getting close to 280, about 265 or so, so I added in the
> >maple extract. I decided not to wait for exactly 280 because the way it was
> >climbing I figured it would overshoot before I got everything added.
> >Suddenly, and I mean very suddenly, what had been a pretty liquid mass
> >started crystalizing into thick clumps of crystals surrounded by some
> >liquid. And the temperature had dropped into the 240s. I kept heating it
> >but it didn't seem to want to liquify again. I was afraid it might burn,
> >so added a substatial amount of maple syrup which made it more liquid but
> >with lots of crystals floating in it. I cooked this for a while longer,
> >added the walnuts and the baking soda and spread the crumbly paste in
> >the oiled cake pan.
>
> Next time, put all the ingredients you have to add into one small bowl (or
> one bowl for the wet and one for the dry ingredients) ready by the side of
> the stove.  That way you can add them quickly as soon as the temp hits the
> mark.

Good point. I had them there on the counter, but not mixed together.

> I suspect that your maple syrup had alcohol in it, which doesn't boil up in
> the same range as the sugar, and which evaporates and cools quickly.  It was
> probably a tiny amount of extract, I wouldn't have expected such a dramatic
> result.  Great chemistry experiment to share with a kid who will be just as
> happy with failed candy as with succesful anyway.

Good theory, except this wasn't maple extract, it was 100 per cent pure
Maple Syrup, at least that is what the label says. "Pure Maple Syrup.
Grade A Dark Amber". 8.5 fl. oz. Or does maple syrup have alcohol as
a natural component?

And the nutrition facts say Sugars 50g. (for 1/4 cup serving) !!!!
That's why I've still got some left as well as the candy.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net