SC - Back from War!

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 18:37:51 PST 2001

david friedman wrote:

> >>  There are couple of rolled meat period recipes that I know, but I
> >>think they all
> >>      involve slicing and rolling and then cooking. One of them is
> >>"The Flesh of
> >>      Veal" in Platina (and the Miscellany)
> >>

> >Is that the one where the veal slices are supposed to look like little
> >birds?
> >Beatrice
>
> I don't think so. At least the recipe proper, which is what is in the
> Miscellany, doesn't say so; I haven't checked Platina to see if there
> is any reference to birds in the surrounding text.

While the dish is similar to ones which are named pretty specifically
for birds. Taillevent uses the name aloyaux, or something along those
lines, believed to be a reference to larks, essentially fake ortolans in
this case, but later recipes use several variants on this name such as
alowes, aloes, and even olives in post-period sources, probably a modern
rationalization for aloes, since they clearly are not shad, which in
modern French is aloes. 20th-century recipes even refer to these simply
as beef or veal birds.

However, Platina makes no reference to birds in this recipe; maybe the
resemblance escaped him, or perhaps it escaped Martino. Yes, there are
bird (as in poultry) recipes in the chapter, but they seem to be joined
only in that they are made from meat, in this case of birds like
chicken, etc.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy