SC - earth quake

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Feb 28 18:13:06 PST 2001

News from Portland.

We felt the quake but from what I've heard it did very little damage this
far south, even though it was very much there and in the room I was in
lasted about a minute while others only felt it for 15 to 30 seconds.  But
what can you say for raised flooring in a computer room?

The last account I saw, they listed it as 6.8 with the epicenter about 30
miles SW of Seattle and about 10 NE of Olympia. My company's Seattle
location was forwarding customer calls down to us for several hours while
they cleaned up.  CNN.COM has some rather good general info with some
pictures, etc.  Lots of damage, but I haven't heard of anything big like in
the San Francisco 1989 earthquake where some of the freeways collapsed.  CNN
does have an impressive picture of what looks to be a mini-van smooshed
under a pile of bricks.  Apparently most of the damage to and from buildings
was to OLD brick buildings where the mortar just gave up. Or at least this
is my understanding from bits and pieces of info from coworkers in Seattle
mixed with news reports.
The only non-Seattle damage that I saw listed was a crack in the dome of the
Capital building in Olympia, but I'm sure there is more and the news is just
focusing on the bigger city.

But the good news is: relatively few injuries and very few serious.  Bad
news: about 17,000 people without power.

And so, I sit here very thankful that this brush with Mother Nature was not
as bad as it could be.

- -Cassea