THANKS LIADNAN:::Re: SC - OT & OOP - salsa recipe

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Thu Feb 1 09:27:37 PST 2001

Thanks Liadnan,
I will try it just as soon as tomato season is upon us.  I can almost taste a
nice beefsteak tomato now! (sure wish it were July)
Phillipa
<<

 5 pounds ripe tomatoes. quartered and cored
 2 pounds yellow onions
 2 pounds green bell peppers, seeded and cored
 12 jalapenos, caps removed

 I run everything through my food processor, chopping coarsely.  Place in a
 large bowl.  Cover with boiling water.  Allow to stand at least 10 minutes,
 longer if you have a distraction.  Drain well.

 Place in a large pot and add:

 1 and 1/2 cups white vinegar
 1 Tbsp. mustard seed
 4 Tbsp. sugar
 6 tbsp. canning salt

 Bring to a simmer, cook 10 minutes.  Pack hot into jars and boiling water
 bath for 15 minutes.  Makes 6 pints.

 This makes a medium-heat salsa to my taste.  My ex said I was a hot food
 weenie.  If you want it hotter, add more jalapenos. If you're not canning
 it, refrigerate for a few days to blend the flavors.

 I usually leave out the salt, and for variety, sometimes I'll add tomato
 sauce if I have extra while I'm putting up the tomatoes.

 Liadnan