SC - Great Celebration in Atlantia

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Feb 22 22:17:21 PST 2001

>The term "Queen's Tea" for an afternoon gathering with food is a spreading
>SCAism, of the same genre as 'Chivalry Meeting' (I don't think they had
>those in period either!)

>Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise

It's been spreading for a long time. And I've been trying to stamp it
out for a long time, with very little success.

To my ear, at least, "Queen's Tea" is worse than "chivalry meeting,"
because the former sounds like a historical term whereas the latter
is simply a description of what is happening. To put it differently,
the fact that the structure of the SCA isn't historically accurate
means that descriptions of what we are doing may not correspond to
anything period--although sometimes ingenuity can solve that problem.
But taking a term from a different historical period seems like
gratuitous inaccuracy.

So far as a period term for "dayboard," I'm not sure exactly how you
are using the term. Rumpolt uses "Fruhmahle," presumably for what we
would call lunch (in contrast to "nachtmahle").

For a substitute for "Queen's Tea" would "Queen's Court" work? So far
as I know, it isn't a term actually used in period, but at least it
is made up of period terms used in a more or less period fashion.
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University