SC - OOP - Eggplant

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 27 15:50:37 PST 2001

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> That could definitely describe the eggplant part of the 'pagoda' (if we
> were talking a french-based cuisine, we would call it a 'napoleon'.)

Or perhaps a moussaka. An interesting, if OT (whatever this topic
actually is...) point worth mentioning is that it has been suggested
that while French cuisine is known for Napoleons in various forms, they
are more properly known as Napolitanos, because they are thought to be a
visual reference not to the Bonaparte emperor, but to the flag of the
new (as of the 19th century) republic (?) of Naples, which had just
acquired a spiffy new tricolor flag to replace the old Kingdom of
Naples' heraldic flag. Therefore napolitano foods, such as, for example,
spumoni in three colors and flavors, are stripey.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com