SC - canned asparagus

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri Feb 16 13:41:52 PST 2001

> Well, home canned asparagus would probably be BETTER than
> commercially canned, but I'm not sure that would make it
> edible.
>
> I can recommend freezing, however.  I've done this several
> times and it came out OK; the hard part is not
> over-blanching it (still haven't quite got the hang of
> that, mine comes out a bit slimy, my mom's is almost as
> good as fresh).  You can freeze it on cookie sheets, then
> bag it, if you want to be able to use variable amounts.

I cook my asparagus in the oven. At about 450 degrees sprinkled with
olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I frequently freeze it as well, not even
blanching it. Works for me just fine.

Micaylah
~who has a tendancy to serve waaaaay to much asparagus at camping events
at the beginning of the summer~

> Anybody know if you can freeze it without blanching?
>
> Dana/Ximena
> who is dreaming of a garden this year but woke up to 4+
> inches of snow this morning.

> > All righty, question for anybody who's done home canning:
> > Does store-bought
> > canned asparagus taste icky because it wasn't good fresh
> > asparagus in the first
> > place, or is it because of the canning process?  I have
> > found that if asparagus
> > has any odor before it's cooked, it will have a bitter
> > flavor when it's done.
> >  So, I'm wondering if I can can fresh asparagus from my
> > garden with better results
> > than the store-bought stuff.  Or, should I freeze it?
> >
> > -Magdalena vander Brugghe
> > who's so proud of her spinich and onion seedlings already
> > :)

SCA-Cooks".