SC - presents...sort of

upsxdls_osu@ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Wed Jan 3 10:06:24 PST 2001

UlfR wrote:

> > Does anyone have a source for period-type oat meal to make period oat meal
> > porridge?
>
> There is (at least) two in Curye on Ingish. One is not what most would
> think of as a breakfast food (gruel forced, it has meat added to the
> boiled gruel), but the other would not be too far off. I can't recall
> the full recipie, but I think it is oatmeal, boiled with stock (this is
> where I'm uncertain), and with almond milk added after boiling. I'll
> post the recipie tonight.

Or does Jadwiga mean, "Where does one buy oats/meal suitable for such
dishes?"?

You might look for steel-cut (still not ideal but closer than rolled)
oats in various markets, health-food stores, etc. Scots steel-cut
oatmeal is usually finer than the Irish-type, and I suspect that finer
cuts might better approximate something that is actually ground. You
might also opt for getting whole oat kernels, again, at the healthfood
store, or maybe the King Arthur people, and if all else fails you might
find a friendly home brewer who brews from grain and has a grain mill;
it's not real difficult to grind ten or fifteen pounds of grain with one
of those.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy