SC - Yule Food

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Jan 3 10:23:39 PST 2001

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Or does Jadwiga mean, "Where does one buy oats/meal suitable for such
> dishes?"?

Possibly. Both are valid questions.

> You might look for steel-cut (still not ideal but closer than rolled)
> oats in various markets, health-food stores, etc. Scots steel-cut
> oatmeal is usually finer than the Irish-type, and I suspect that finer
> cuts might better approximate something that is actually ground. You
> might also opt for getting whole oat kernels, again, at the healthfood
> store, or maybe the King Arthur people, and if all else fails you might
> find a friendly home brewer who brews from grain and has a grain mill;
> it's not real difficult to grind ten or fifteen pounds of grain with one
> of those.

Or I can finally get the flake mill for Electrolux Assistant
(http://www.magicmillusa.com/) and grind them with it. Not that that
would help Jadwiga, but it would help me this spring (four day event,
Fri evening to Tuesday morning). I *will* serve at least a perioid
alternative for even the breakfast, and the other meals are a foregone
conclusion.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se