SC - avocados

Trierarch@aol.com Trierarch at aol.com
Wed Jan 3 23:13:32 PST 2001

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, HICKS, MELISSA wrote:

> Just to confuse the issue,  UK and Australian measurements have 4 teaspoons
> equaling one Tablespoon, where US measuring sets only have three.
>
> So is the UK/Australian teaspoon smaller than a US teaspoon, or is it the
> tablespoons that are out?

To make this slightly more structured:

Sweden:

1 teaspoon (tesked)	 5 ml
1 tablespoon (matsked)	15 ml

According to the rec.food.cooking FAQ[1] we also have:

US:

1 tablespoon		 0.5 fl oz/16 ml

British:

1 tablespoon		15 ml (but there is conflicting evidence for
				1/16 cup/17.8 ml)
1 dessertspoon		10 ml
1 teaspoon		 5 ml

For some preculiar reason I do not have my copy of Mrs. Beeton´s at
work, so someone else will have to check with Authority if Melissa or
the RFC FAQ is wrong regarding the conversion factors between teaspoons
and tablespoons.

/UlfR

[1] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/cooking-faq

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
I used to stay up at night worrying about World War III.  I used to have
nightmares of legions of Soviet tanks rolling across Europe....  Then I bought
a Lada. 		-- Mel Smith, Not The Nine O'Clock News.