SC - avocados

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 12 00:02:13 PST 2001

>Okay I consulted Waverly Roots "Food". It is native
>to the Americas. It was first found in Columbia. And it was grown in the
>US until the later part of the 1800s. It definitely doesn't look like
>it made it to Europe within our period of study.

we were wondering the other day if it had made it to the mid east and
thereabouts (India, Pakistan, and so on) more recently.  it certainly could
be grown in the area.

we are currently eating our fill of avocado as never before in our lives. .
. so it is being served with all sorts of things. last week we were eating
the creamy kind of avocado salad (see recipe in 7-layer dip thread) with
falafel, and we are planning on having avocado in a few days with indian
food (I'm imagining avocado raita w/ yogurt and a bit of chopped green
cilantro?) so our wonderings are prompted by our wanderings.

Bonne