SC - avocados

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 4 04:43:58 PST 2001

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> I'm not sure but what has all of this to do with assorted tableware? Perhaps
> a change ion the subject line to measuring spoons or some such would avoid
> confusing the  original question regarding tableware and the way the thread
> has turned to measuring devices.....just a thought. ;-)
>
> Ras.

Or, we might simply mention in the subject line that you won't be
interested in this topic, now that you've told us that.

What a discussion on tableware has to do with measurements, and
vice-versa, is that since there are measurement units that have the same
name as pieces of tableware, it's a _moderately_ safe assumption that
the unit and the capacity of the tableware should have some vague
relationship. So, for example, most modern U.S. teaspoons (tableware) do
hold approximately a teaspoon (measure, volume), and by extension, a
piece of tableware measuring a tablespoon (measure) is more likely to be
a tablespoon (tableware) than, say, a demitasse spoon. A spoon that is
smaller than a teaspoon could be all kinds of things, but the likelihood
of its being a dessertspoon, since a dessertspoon measures larger than a
teaspoon does, is probably pretty low. Not impossible, but the odds of
this proposition being the case are pretty low.

In short, form generally follows function. We've been discussing form
until now, and the measurement issue is a way of introducing function
into the conversation, which is not really pulling the thread away from
its original topic.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy