Saumon Gentil (was: SC - Re: SC- Turkish Food)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 10 08:24:05 PST 2001

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> >Place your skirt steak (or tenderloin, but I think it's some kind of
> >Lower-East-Side-of-New-York joke to refer to skirt, at one time just
> >about the cheapest piece of beef you could get in one piece, as
> >"Roumanian tenderloin") >
> >Adamantius
>
> What are you saying here?  Tenderloin and skirt steak are two completely
> different cuts from two completely different areas of the cow.
> Just curious.
> Olwen

I'm saying that while skirt and tenderloin aren't the same thing by any
means, the original name of the dish in question (at least in English)
is Roumanian Tenderloin Steak, and it is mostly made from skirt. This is
because somebody, at some point, decided that either A) [jokingly] to a
Roumanian, skirt is the equivalent of tenderloin compared to what they
usually eat, or ate or B) this Roumanian dish was as good as tenderloin,
even though it is skirt. I hope we're clear on this, because it gets
more confusing.

Sammy's Roumanian Steak House, on (I was wrong) Chrystie Street, New
York City, is allegedly the creator and major world proponent of the
Roumanian Steak, and _they_ make the dish, at least sometimes, from
actual beef tenderloin. For all their shenanigans and Jackie Mason
atmosphere, they really are a highly regarded and quite expensive
restaurant. Possibly they can't justify charging the prices they'd have
to charge (considering overhead expenses) for skirt, so it may actually
be cheaper (for them) to use tenderloin. In other words, they may sell
more steak if they have tenderloin for $40, versus skirt for $30.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com