SC - OT- Britney Spears (was RE: Saumon Genti)

Wed Jan 10 20:48:50 PST 2001

At 8:03 PM -0500 1/10/01, LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 1/9/01 12:54:02 PM Eastern Standard Time, ddfr at best.com
>writes:
>
><< What Islamic sect is it that believes that pouring the first drop
>  satisfies the requirement? That sounds implausible to me--more like a
>  good story than a real legal doctrine--but I could easily be wrong.
>  --
>  David Friedman >>
>
>I don't know which sect it is. I work in a liquor store and  at least 4
>adherents to al-Islam who frequent the store have told me the same story when
>I have  questioned it. The next time one of them comes in I will ask.

That I'll believe. I'll even believe that they believe it--it is,
after all, a useful excuse for someone who wants to violate the
requirements of his religion. What I doubt is that it is really the
official position of any substantial Islamic sect. But I could be
wrong.
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law