period crab recipes (was SC - Chinese Crab - Charibdys japonica)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jan 10 21:02:21 PST 2001

Selene asked:
> Mark S. Harris wrote:
> > My wife and I went to Trudy's today for lunch. Compared to
> > Saturday night, with an hour to an hour and a half wait, we just
> > walked in at lunch. Course it was about 1:15 or so.
> >
> > And my wife had the stuffed avocado and loved it. Unfortunately,
> > this was a special item and is only supposed to be there until
> > January 14th. My wife is now saying she WILL go back before it
> > ends, with or without me. The waiter did say the reason it isn't
> > a regular item is that prices on avocados go up and down so much.
> > So maybe it will return later.
>
> So do you have any thoughts on its composition, and probable recipe?  Is it
> batter-dipped or egg-and-crumb breaded?  Is the stuffing just naked shredded
> chicken or is it bound with mayonnaise or other sauce or condiments?  All right,
> this is NOT period cooking, but you can't get a bunch of food enthusiasts like
> ourselves together and not discuss goodies we find exceptional, period or
> otherwise.

I didn't eat or taste it. I don't like avocados or that squishy, green
stuff :-). I tried to ask my wife, Alice, but she couldn't remember
what the crust was. She just said she liked it. She thinks the chicken
was just shredded, not bound with any sauce. I suspect it was probably
seasoned though.

However, she says we're going back Thursday night or at least before the
special ends on Sunday. I will try to get a better intelligence report
then.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net