period crab recipes (was SC - Chinese Crab - Charibdys japonica)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 11 12:31:50 PST 2001

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> >I believe it's still in HG Cariadoc's Collection, available from him,
> >and didn't I hear something about this now being available from the SCA
> >stock clerk, or did I just imagine it? Or am I thinking of the Miscellany?
> >
> >If this is in regard to walnuts, I haven't forgotten, just am in Mad
> >12th Night mode...
> >
> >Adamantius
> >--
> >Phil & Susan Troy
> >
> I looked around in Cariadoc's Miscellany and couldn't find it.  Can someone
> point me straight to it??

AFAIK, it is not online, but Cariadoc publishes a completely separate
entity from the Miscellany: it is A Collection of Medieval and
Renaissance Cookbooks. It's a wonderful (and reasonably-priced)
compendium of faithfully produced (awright, they're teeny little
photocopies, but for the money, not at all bad) primary-or-near-primary
sources, including Le Menagier de Paris, The Forme of Cury, Digby, Plat,
A Proper Newe Boke of Cokerye, Al-Baghdadi, etc.

I have an older, one-volume edition; newer editions are two-volumes,
with more stuff in them.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy