SC - T'ang Dynasty Cookbook

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Sat Jan 13 12:38:02 PST 2001

- --part1_b6.fcc4b7d.2791faec_boundary

Hmmm. . .tough question.  I'd have to agree that the best way to approach the
whole thing is to find a peer with the same interests and ask for help or
offer to help on a project.  It allows you and the peer to get to know each
other, and see if you can work well together.

As for the idea of peers that chose their apprentices/students/squires etc.
I feel I have to respond.

I'm a Pelican student (or protoge. . .we happen to use student) and I was
asked.  In this case it was a practical matter of seeing if I would fit in
with the rest of the extended  household.  Luckily my husband was already
studented (is that a word?  well it is now :->) to the same Pelican so there
was a lot of opportunity to watch me be a part of the household.  At the time
I was asked he explained he wanted his students to be people he liked that he
could be, or become, friends with, and that fit into the household well,
along with any potential he saw in us.  He tends to watch a person to see if
they'll fit in to the household and to see how they conduct themselves and
what they do.  In the end this means he ends up asking people, but not out of
being unapproachable or stuck up but because he has certain criteria he wants
to make sure are filled.

I know that in some cases it is a matter of being stuck up, but in other
cases it is a matter of looking a wide range of reasons and it is rather
unfair to paint all peers with such a wide brush.

Noemi

- --part1_b6.fcc4b7d.2791faec_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Hmmm. . .tough question.  I'd have to agree that the best way to approach the
<BR>whole thing is to find a peer with the same interests and ask for help or
<BR>offer to help on a project.  It allows you and the peer to get to know each
<BR>other, and see if you can work well together.
<BR>
<BR>As for the idea of peers that chose their apprentices/students/squires etc.
<BR>I feel I have to respond.
<BR>
<BR>I'm a Pelican student (or protoge. . .we happen to use student) and I was
<BR>asked.  In this case it was a practical matter of seeing if I would fit in
<BR>with the rest of the extended  household.  Luckily my husband was already
<BR>studented (is that a word?  well it is now :->) to the same Pelican so there
<BR>was a lot of opportunity to watch me be a part of the household.  At the time
<BR>I was asked he explained he wanted his students to be people he liked that he
<BR>could be, or become, friends with, and that fit into the household well,
<BR>along with any potential he saw in us.  He tends to watch a person to see if
<BR>they'll fit in to the household and to see how they conduct themselves and
<BR>what they do.  In the end this means he ends up asking people, but not out of
<BR>being unapproachable or stuck up but because he has certain criteria he wants
<BR>to make sure are filled.
<BR>
<BR>I know that in some cases it is a matter of being stuck up, but in other
<BR>cases it is a matter of looking a wide range of reasons and it is rather
<BR>unfair to paint all peers with such a wide brush.
<BR>
<BR>Noemi
<BR></FONT></HTML>

- --part1_b6.fcc4b7d.2791faec_boundary--