SC - T'ang Dynasty Cookbook

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Sat Jan 13 12:38:02 PST 2001

<< I am looking for a T'ang Dynasty Cookbook (if such exists) in either
classical Chinese or in English translation. I am also looking for
any Chinese cooking information ca 700 CE. ... >>

According to:
  Trauffer, R. (éd.): Manger en Chine. Une exposition de l'Alimentarium.
  Essen in China. Eine Ausstellung des Alimentariums. Contributions/
  Beiträge: E. Hsu, L. Shijing, G. Métailié, F. Sabban. Vevey 1997.
there were many medical and dietetic/nutritional handbooks in the T'ang
era (p. 106/7), I don't know if there were cookbooks.

They quote an article about the T'ang era in:
- -- Chang, K.-C. (ed.): Food in Chinese culture. New Haven 1977.

In case you read German, you could check:
- -- Gwinner, Th.A.P.: Essen und Trinken. Die klassische Kochbuchliteratur
Chinas. Frankfurt a.M. 1988 (Heidelberger Schriften zur Ostasienkunde
11). ['The classical cookbook literature of China']

Other books and articles on old chinese cookery and cookbooks are
mentioned at:
http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/cookmat.htm
Sektion: A-CHIN || Old Chinese cookbooks and cooking (after Apicius and
Arabic ...)

Th.