SC - Aussie BBQ?

Lee-Gwen piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Wed Jan 17 02:22:57 PST 2001

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Stefan li Rous

> What's a "snag"? Over here that would imply a problem of some sort,
> but you seem to be using it as if it was a food item.

Okay, a "snag" is a sausage - although the problem meaning is also used
freely - and it gives a whole new meaning to the SNAG type of man!

> So what is an Aussie BBQ and how does it differ from another BBQ?

As I understand it, what we call a barbecue the Americans call a cook-out.
Barbecue also refers to the fire box.  Onto the grill of the barbeque are
thrown steak, chops, snags and, in these multi-cultural time things like
fish, kebabs and so on (and yes, in some circles, kangaroo and emu are used
too, these types of meat are gaining in popularity in Australia).  These are
grilled over an open flame - usually served charred and it isn't a real
barbecue unless at least one sausage falls onto the ground and some adult or
other says "not to worry, you will eat pound of dirt before you die".  Said
sausage is then casually wiped on some piece of cloth or other, and handed
to the nearest child.

Here though I think it is
> more how the meat is cooked and what it is that differs rather than
> the event itself.

In Australia, it is the event and the cooker which are called barbecues.
Barbecue meat the way the Americans have it is not common here.

Gwynydd