SC - Diet Blues

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 09:36:36 PST 2001

I'm playing around with a Lenten recipe from Granado: noodles
(made from flour, bread crumbs, oil, water, and saffron), and served
with a garlic-walnut sauce.  (Yes, I will post the recipe when I have
translated and redacted it.)

I've never made pasta before, nor cooked with fresh pasta.  I
checked the Florilegium, but it seemed not to have a lot on basic
techniques.

I've rolled out some of the dough (to about 1/16", which is as thin
as I can get it with a rolling pin).  I cut it into thin strips, and have
them set aside and drying.  The rest of the dough is in the fridge,
awaiting its turn.  The recipe says to cut it into squares, or as
desired, so I figure I'll do a couple of small batches in different
sizes/shapes.

I know that fresh pasta requires less cooking time.  How else does
it differ from the dried boxed stuff?  How long can I store it, and in
what way?  (Keep in mind this recipe has no eggs.)  And what are
the other questions I should be asking, if I knew enough to ask
them?

And, on a related topic, does anyone have an opinion on the pasta-
maker attachment for the KitchenAid mixer?

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net