SC - What's the oldest thing in your fridge

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 18:32:22 PST 2001

- --part1_6a.a7f2de3.2797abcf_boundary

In a message dated 1/17/01 5:49:56 PM Mountain Standard Time,=20
kareno at lewistown.net writes:

>=20
> >>     So,  Constance,   tell us about the feast!!  what did you do best?=20=
=20
>> what was not-so-good?
>> What would you do different?  tell us the menu, and such . . . .
>> =20
>>     Yes,  I was there,  but I'll let you start the commenting=20
>> =20
>>     Caointiarn
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

Well, I am still working on the "post-mortem" and will post more on it later=
=20
if you all really want to hear it.  But can pass along a few tidbits now for=
=20
future feast stewards.

1.  Walk-in Refrigerators are kept at a lower temp than household types and=20
require extra time for defrosting frozen items.  Esp. when you are defrostin=
g=20
20 full sized capons.  This one bit of lacking knowledge put the entire feas=
t=20
an hour behind and is a mistake I will not repeat in the future.

2.  If you are going to serve deep fried fritters, either only do one type o=
r=20
start cooking them 2 hours ahead of serving time and keep them in a warmer.

3.  Have back-ups on top of back-ups on top of back-up for your major jobs.=20=
=20
Even the most reliable person in the world can be prevented from attending=20
the event by something like a car accident (my primary clean up manager and=20
back-up server manager rolled her truck on the way down and I had no idea=20
what she had planned or who she had signed up)  (she is ok BTW).

4.  The main thing that made the feast good was something we have seen on=20
this list before but it bears repeating.  Test all recipes in advance.  Most=
=20
esp. test them on people who don't like those sorts of dishes.  If you can=20
prepare that dish so those people like it then everyone else will too.

5.  Make a timing chart.  I had intended to do this but let it slip and that=
=20
is what caused the major problem with the feast as some dishes were started=20
too late while others were prepared too early.  MY fault entirely as I did=20
not have explicit instructions as to when the dishes should be started and=20
could not be everywhere at the same time.

The feast itself seemed to go over well if such can be based on comments fro=
m=20
the feasters.  The menu is listed below.

Throughout the meal:
Various breads (Pan de main, garlic bread and a heavy wheat bread) and=20
flavored butters
    Beverages to include water, apple juice, flavored hot almond milk=20

First Course:
Deep fried breaded appetizers consisting of salmon, cheese  sticks, and=20
mushrooms.  Cameline Sauce, Curry Sauce and Savory Cream Sauce for dipping
    Salat (baby greens and herbs with oil/vinegar dressing)
    Sardinian Savory Soup  (Chicken Stock with herbal flavorings)

Second Course:
Baked Capon in marbling sauce
    Guissell (Herb and Breadcrumb stuffing served on the side)
    Honey glazed vegetables
Saut=E9ed Leeks & Mushrooms  =20

Third Course:
Stuffed meat rolls (think early rouladon made with venison)
    Chardwardon (burgundy pear sauce)
    Mediterranean Rice (wild rice with chicken, almonds, and veggies)
Tarragon Peas with Scallions saut=E9ed in Olive Oil
   =20
Dessert Course:

    Sugarpaste subtlety surrounded by small desserts such as:
various tarts (cheesecake, cherry, quince), and pynade (honey candies).=20

Some things that added to the feast were using children as the servers, =20
baking all the bread so quality was maintained, and making many of the dishe=
s=20
in advance so less work was required of event attendees the day of the feast=
.=20
=20

More later after I recover a bit more energy.

Constance de la Rose

- --part1_6a.a7f2de3.2797abcf_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  COLOR=3D"#0000ff" SIZE=3D2><B>In a=
 message dated 1/17/01 5:49:56 PM Mountain Standard Time,=20