SC - Braai & boerewors

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 18 11:34:56 PST 2001

Several years ago we discussed pickled fruits, and I think perhaps it made
it into the flori-thingy (I believe I posted a pickled lemons recipe that
Stephen picked up, based upon a Fruits and Flowers recipe and another
reference to pickled lemons, perhaps in relation to the Aethelmearc First
Crown Tourney menu). The reason I bring this up is that the discussion is
tickling a memory of pickled limes being the rage amongst young ladies in
the book Little Women---the timeline there is admitedly after our period,
but still historical. I wonder if there is a good and/or logical thread
there?

Aoife

Brighid penned:
And it came to pass on 17 Jan 01, , that david friedman wrote:

> Our summary of the history of citrus in the Miscellany says:
>
> By the 13th  century lemon, sour orange, citron, and what is probably
> lime are described from northern Italy.

Herrera's agricultural manual (1513) specifically mentions limes in
the citrus fruit chapter.  Unfortunately, he doesn't go into much
detail about their use, only that large limes and oranges can be
preserved whole in a honey syrup.  I haven't noticed any other
references to limes in the Spanish/Catalan sources.