SC - Re: First feasts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 19 10:38:03 PST 2001

"Michael F. Gunter" wrote:

> Sue Clemenger wrote:
>
> > Now _there's an interesting potential topic....so, everyone, what did
> > y'all do for _your_ first feast?
>
> My first real feast was something like 14 years ago and it was my
> barony's 10 annual Championship tournament. It rained, a lot.
> Luckily we had a nice feast hall that had a real kitchen! Well, a regular
> refrigerator and home stove. I did a lot of cooking ahead of time and
> so had tons of food in boil-in bags. Basically I just heated a lot of
> it up and served it forth.

Sorry to piggyback, I missed the original question...

That would be about 15 years ago. I vaguely recall doing more or less
peri-oid food from secondary and tertiary sources pretty heavily
doctored. Things like Aresty's "The Delectable Past", probably something
by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson ("Olde Englishe Recipes"?), maybe "700
Years of English Cooking", a.k.a. The Seven Centuries Cookbook...

Let's see... I remember a spinach tart, probably a modern Greek-y
spanikopita thing, a saffron soup which involved chicken stock, egg
yolks, possibly cream and, of course, saffron, braised beefsteaks
(essentially bottom round cutlets) in a wine-lemon sauce, roast
chickens, probably some species of dariole or other custardy tart... a salad...

As you may have noticed, not much effort was made to do any particular
time and place.

My second feast was less than six months later and was more or less
based on Apicius. As I recall I looked at somebody or other's recipe
adaptations and wondered just why the h*** they did that, and if it was
actually part of the original recipe. At the same time, I discovered a
copy of the F&R Apicius translation BEING THROWN OUT by the Paul Klapper
Library at Queens College...

Ah, shrimp sausages...

Adamantius
- --