SC - Oldest thing in fridge - redux

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 22 06:36:25 PST 2001

> Alows de Beef or de Motoun - Two Fifteenth Century p. 40
> Take fayre Bef of Ýe quyschons, and motoun of Ýe bottes, and kytte in Ýe
> maner of Stekys; Ýan take raw Percely, and Oynonys smal y-scredde, and
> yolkys of Eyroun soÝe hard, and Marow or swette, and hew alle Ýes to-geder
> smal; Ýan caste Ýer-on poudere of Gyngere and Saffroun, and tolle hem
> to-gederys with Ýin hond, and lay hem on Ýe Stekys al a-brode, and caste
> Salt Ýer-to; Ýen rolle to-gederys, and putte hem on a round spete, and
> roste hem til Ýey ben y-now; Ýan lay hem in a dysshe, and pore Ýer-on
> Vynegre and a lityl verious, and pouder Pepir Ýer-on y-now, and Gyngere,
> and Canelle, and a fewe yolkys of hard Eyroun y-kremyd Ýer-on; and serue forth.

Would this be closely related to Rouladen? Perhaps an ancestor?
Following that this doesn't seem much different, how many of Gyric's
dishes were -really- out of kilter for a first feast? Maybe he doesn't
know how close he came to what he decried, if that's what he was saying,
as I seem to recollect that there are period versions of pretty much
everything he made...
Although that's not to say I didn't REALLY appreciate the Cleftland's
feast last Saturday night, head cook being Ceinwen Ferch Elidure
O’denbeigh; about 15 dishes to make an early sixteenth century Spanish
sailor's buttons burst. From the menu:
Macarrones
   (mac-n-cheese: spaetzel style) flour, egg yolk, vegetable broth,
   butter, parmesean cheese, mozzarella, cinnamon, sugar
Una Olla Porrida
   (meat roasted and served on a vegetable base) rabbit, sausage,
   harlic, onions, chestnuts, kidney beans, chickpeasm blackbeans,
   cabbage, turnips, salt, pepper, cinnamon
Escuedilla de Espinaca
   (spinach and prunes...Really, It's Good) spinach, olive oil, prunes,
   vegetable broth
Torta de Zanhoria
   (carrot cheesecake) cream cheese, ricotta, pepper, cinnamon,
   candied orange peel, sugar, butter, eggs, puff pastry
Habas Frescas
   (fresh peas in a light broth) peas, barsley, mint, vegetable broth
Broete De Madama
   (almond milk based broth with spices and pine nuts) almond milk,
   vegetable broth, pine nuts, eggs, vinegar, pepper, parsley, pregano,
   saffron, ginger
Manjar Blanco de Cabra
   (goat stewed in white sauce) goat, onions, almond milk, rice flour,
   rose water, powdered sugar
Frijolles con Chile Ancho
   (beans fries with chiles) lentils, olive oil, ancho chiles, salt
Cazuelas
   (salt-cod in a garlic/parsley sauce) salt-cod, whitefish, butter,
garlic,
   parsley
Atole
   (cornmeal mush with pimento and honey) cornmeal, pimento,
   honey, water
Turquia Mole
   (roast turkey in a chile-chocolate sauce) turkey, pasilla chile,
ancho
   chile, mulato chile, tomatillos, almonds, raisins, sesame seeds,
   baking chocolate, garlic, vegetable broth, cinnamon, cloves, black
   pepper, allspice, oil, dry corn tortillas
Pan de Espana
   (Spanish bread) flour, ale, milk, yeast, salt
Seta de Espana
   (Spanish style marinated mushrooms) mushrooms, olive oil,
   vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, basil
Crypes
   (funnel type cakes) egg white, milk, flour, yeast, sugar, salt, oil
Rosquillas
   (little bagel cookies) egg yolks, sugar, butter, white wine, orange
   extract, cinnamon, anise, flour
Tamales
   (filled dough, steamed) cornmeal, salt, black beans, onions, cheddar
   cheese, oregano, olives, pine nuts, garlic, cumin, olive oil

I honestly think I've never had more wonderfully spiced food at a
feast.BUT, the Aztec style hot chocolate (with chilies) made me the
happiest of all. Maybe it's just a taste bud thing. The Broete De Madama
over the Torta de Zanhoria was a singular pleasure.
Ian Gourdon