SC - Rouladen

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 22 06:44:09 PST 2001

Trolls on the internet are people who lurk on groups and post
inflammatory statements appropriate to the group [like here, all period
food sucks] or over on the sca garb list that they should make all of
their clothing out of synthetics because if they had had them in period
they would have used them, and besides  - using animal products is
obscene and we should not subjugate animals for our use; or over on the
sca camping list that we should all forget the period looking camps and
all go for the nylon tents because they are so much easier to transport
and put up.

Then they wait for people to get upset, and start fighting. Think of
that little wog in first grade who goads you into a fight and then narks
you to the teacher for fighting.

On the alt.* type groups [usenet] you can tell a flamer/troll because
very frequently they will sneak alt.flame or alt.troll into the list of
usenet groups the replies get sent to and then the idiots who read those
can get in on the 'fun.' I have found that if you post a reply and
delete the alt.flame or troll from the reply chain, and everybody does
the same, the trolling can dry up very quickly. Unfortunately on the
Rialto [rec.alt.sca] most people don't delete the alt.troll or flame
from the reply chain and the flame wars can go on for weeks.
margali

- --
http://homestead.deja.com/user.marilyntraber/index.html