First feasts was Re: SC - Diet Blues

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jan 22 22:35:08 PST 2001

Gyric,
I applaude you for even taking on the responsibility of cooking a feast at
all. I've been lurking and commenting on this list for a long time. I am a
great cook, and I'm just now getting the guts to begin bidding on feasts.
Why?

It's a butt-load of work and responsibility! There are a lot of dedicated
kitchen helpers in my area, but I'm not sure if they'll rally around me as
a feastocrat or whatever title you prefer. It wasn't until the "old
kitcheners" decided they were tired, that they began training new blood.
When I started playing three years ago, it seemed the same 3 or 4 people
were doing all the feasts for our Shire.  I asked to help out and was told
"I'm really picky who I allow in my kitchen." Instead of being offended, I
just thought to myself, "their loss." You see, I have done several large
dinners mundanely in the capacity of head cook. Did anyone bother to ask if
I had any cooking experience? No.

I am finally bidding my first feast for April this year, and my second, a
German themed feast for September.  I'm working on putting menus together
from period sources.  But I also have to keep in mind what folks like to
eat around here. "I don't care if honeybutter isn't period! It's not a
feast if there's not fresh bread with honey butter to start!" And of
course, serving feast for 150 to 200 people is a great opportunity to make
a fool of yourself if any one dish of the many served isn't up to some
particular standard.

Again, I applaud you for taking on the responsibility for feast at your
event.  I'm also happy to see the list hasn't been as hard on you as they
could have. I'm glad your feast was well received if not documentably
period.  Had it not been, you would probably not be as interested in making
a second attempt.

Lady Liadnan of Sparrowhaven
Shire of Mooneschadowe
Ansteorra