SC - Gyric's Feast Blues was First Feasts

Lee-Gwen piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Mon Jan 22 22:10:35 PST 2001

Bonne commented on Gyric's feast. I'm going to use Bonne's comments as
a springboard to give you (Gyric and anyone else interested) a few
files in the Florilegium, which will give you a condensation of what
we've discussed on that subject before. This often includes both original
and redacted recipes. Gyric, since I've been having trouble getting my
messages to this list, I'm going to cc you by email, also.

> Quoting and rearranging your first post:
>
> >Beef and Barlet stew in a large bread
> bowl per table,

The bread bowl doesn't appear to have been done in period, but trenchers
were. See this file in the FOOD section:
stews-bruets-msg  (65K)  5/24/00    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.

> >hams with a spice rub,
ham-msg           (36K)  1/ 4/01    Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.

> >creamed turnips, dill pickle rouladin, vegetarian risotto.

What's "rouladin"?
In FOOD-VEGETABLES:
turnips-msg       (39K) 10/13/00    Turnips in period. Recipes.

In FOOD-BREAD-GRAINS:
rice-msg          (44K)  3/31/00    Period rice. Recipes.

In FOOD:
pickled-food-msg  (97K) 11/ 9/00    Medieval pickled food. recipes.

> >garlic mashed potatoes, maple glazed carrots
In FOOD-VEGETABLES:
potatoes-msg      (80K) 10/13/00    Period white and sweet potato use. Recipes.
root-veg-msg      (74K) 10/13/00    Medieval and period root vegetables.

> >ginger honey candy. split pea soup with ham, 12th night cakes,  recipie
> >found in my baronial newsletter.

In FOOD-VEGETABLES:
peas-msg          (57K)  1/ 5/00    Period peas. Pea broth. Recipes.

In FOOD:
soup-msg          (92K) 10/18/00    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at
events.
                                       recipes.

In FOOD-SWEETS:
14C-Sweets-art    (17K)  9/14/00    "Sweets and Treats of the 14C"
                                       by Lady Hauviette d'Anjou.
candy-msg        (243K)  1/11/01    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
Candying-art       (9K)  6/29/99    Period and modern descriptions of
the
                                       candying process by Alys Katharine.
desserts-msg     (112K)  1/12/01    Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets.

I hope you find these files useful. I hope you don't feel overwhelmed
with all this. Choose the ones you think sound the most interesting
and look at a few. You don't have to read the entire Florilegium in
a day (or a week or a month...) I'm not sure you could.

I have heard comments though from folks who say they get lost in there
and
the next time they look up several hours have passed. :-)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net