SC - Peppers?

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Jan 23 07:19:22 PST 2001

Lady Liadnan shared:
> I'm just now getting the guts to begin bidding on feasts.
> It's a butt-load of work and responsibility!
> I am finally bidding my first feast for April this year,
>I also have to keep in mind what folks like to eat around here. "I don't
care if honeybutter isn't period! It's not a feast if there's not fresh
bread with honey butter to start!"<

    Traditions are a burden to bear, aren't they?   ;)
HOWEVER,  if you offer something new & different, without saying that the
honey butter won't be available,  it may not be missed.   I served honey &
butter seprately for the bread at my dayboard,  and not a hunk o' cheese in
sight  -- VERY different from the usual fare offered here.  The meat pies,
cold chicken in sauce, onion tart, & 3 soups made quite a splash, and nobody
missed the cheese  (imagine that!).  The banquet tables were set with
hardboiled eggs & sausage  with the bread,  and once people were seated,
feast was served  -- I didn't give the assembly a chance to wonder where the
honey butter was . . . . .  but then,  the great Peg Bracken taught me:  if
your dinner guests are wondering where the {bread & honeybutter} are, you're
dead in the water & {bread & honey butter}won't save you.

    Be your own person,  and just let people know  (when it's too late to be
pressured) that you decided  to do something a bit different.  It's kind of
hard to critize a feast "because the Cook had the audacity NOT to serve
honeybutter! " and that's the worse they can say . . . .

Caointiarn