SC - Fruit Query

Tue Jan 23 11:19:17 PST 2001

> >I also have to keep in mind what folks like to eat around here. "I don't
>care if honeybutter isn't period! It's not a feast if there's not fresh
>bread with honey butter to start!"<

The banquet tables were set with
>hardboiled eggs & sausage  with the bread,  and once people were seated,
>feast was served  -- I didn't give the assembly a chance to wonder where
>the
>honey butter was . . . . .

I always thought that allowing the guests to stuff themselves with bread,
honeybutter and chunks of cheese before the feast was counter-productive to
the goal of giving them a good meal.   So when the autocrat said her only
stipulation about the feast was no damned cheap cheese chunks, I knew my
road would be easy.

I have heard from many feast cooks that they want the bread/butter/cheese
available in case the kitchen is running slowly and feast is delayed.  But,
in my experience, people immediately report to the hall after court and seat
themselves even if feast isn't meant to begin for an hour.  If nibbles are
there, nibbles will be eaten, and then people are too full for feast.   And
if feast is late, the nibbles are already gone, so people are sitting there
foodless anyway.

If the cook is worried that something will delay feast, then have in mind
some part of feast that can be sent out earlier to fill this niche, rather
than wasting money and tummy space on cheap filler.  If the cook  really
does want the filler item, buy and prep a minimal amount, but keep it in the
kitchen until that situation develops.  Serve for breakfast if the situation
didn't develop.

Lady Bonne