SC - tip for when you burn the soup....

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Jan 23 14:33:36 PST 2001

> Just a tip for when you burn a soup or something semi
> liquid. First of all, DONT STIR IT!!! Just turn off
> the burner and let it sit for a few minutes. If its
> only mildly scorched, then the good stuff will
> seperate, and you pour that part off into another pot.
> The same if it's pretty burnt. The gross stuff will
> stick to the bottom and you can just pour off the
> unburned portion into another pot. If you haven't
> stirred it, the charcoal tasting part sticks to the
> bottom of the pan. If you do stir it, this doesn't
> work. But I've used this with chowders, beans, split
> pea soup, and a few rice dishes. I saw it on a cooking
> show and have had occasion to use it at home but most
> often when cooking at camp. You know when you aren't
> used to the pans or burners that youre using? that's
> when I usually burn things.

Nisha, another trick I use when cooking large quantities is to always
have a heat diffuser under the pot. Its not infallible but it helps
greatly. I don't have a "burning problem", thankfully. I have burnt
stuff on the rare occasion and I totally credit this to attentive
kitchen minions and a diffuser.

Micaylah

> nisha
>

> I also want to say that I burnt the pes soup so badly,
> we had to start
> again...almost burnt the risotto, and all the cakes
> blew the filling
> out the
> sides so that they were very flat...yet all worked in
> the end due to
> experienced friends in the kitchen.

SCA-Cooks".