SC - My First Feast

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 23 20:58:33 PST 2001

Ian Gourdon posted:
> The redacted recipe as passed to me by Ceinwen:
>
> Rosquillas:
> Boil 4 qts. water
> 20egg yolks
> 11/4c.sugar
> 4T.butter
> 1T.white wine
> 1T.orange ext.
> 1/2t.cinnamon
> 1/2t.ground anise
> 5-51/4c. flour
>
> Preheat oven 350. In mixer, beat eggs. Cream in sugar, butter, wine,
> extract, and spices. Gradually incorporate flour, use a dough hook if
> you have one. This will resemble a sticky cookie dough. Knead with
> floured hands to form 11/2in. balls. Pinch a hole in the center to form
> rings. Drop into boiling water...do not pile. Remove rings when
> floating. Allow to dry. Bake 20-25 min. until just beginning to brown.
> (Granado, 1599)

Interesting. Thanks.

> Perhaps someone has the original...

sigh. That was what I was going to ask for. But at least we have
(Granado, 1599) to work from. I would like to see the original if
someone has it.

How would you class these? By shape I might say "donut" but they
aren't fried or baked. I don't know of any modern boiled donuts. And
the boiling would make the texture different.

Or is this more of a pretzel? Or maybe a bagel?

What kind of file would you look for this kind of dish in?
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net