SC - OT Birka

Aelfwyn@aol.com Aelfwyn at aol.com
Thu Jan 25 18:43:57 PST 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> All Right.  I am COMPLETELY baffeled.  What on this earth is a slug
> queen?????  Please put me out of my curious misery!
> Olwen

Oh my- I though nearly everyone knew by now... The SLUG Queen is a Eugene
(OR) institution, sort of a cross between a Dairy Princess, the Rose
Queen, Homecoming Queen, and a Drag Queen. It is a ceremonial thing, and
you run for it in a contest /pageant with three categories- costume,
talent,  and the Question. I ran twice, and won my second time out. I had
the Girls as backup, and we ran as Carmen Slugana and the Slugettes. There
are of course many Slug jokes (it being damp here) and we were Banana
Slugs, dressed as something like Carmen Miranda. I spent a year doing
PR/Goodwill sort of stuff, the parade, a great deal of fundraising (for
the public library), tv and radio spots, civic stuff,  etc. And I am still
Queen Carmen- I am one of the Old Queens now, bu 'once a Queen, always a
Queen'. And I tell ya, It's Good To Be Queen!

You can se pictures at Mirhaxa's website (she is a sweetheart!) at:

www.morktorn.com/slug.htm

Shade your eyes- the colors are a little bright!

FYI- my DSL is down (@#$% Qwest) and I'm on Regina's computer- but I may
be off for awhile until the lines are back.

'Lainie