SC - FWD - carrot supplier

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jan 29 20:28:33 PST 2001

In a message dated 1/29/01 3:55:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jenne at mail.browser.net writes:

<< Shall we consider what chemical tests say about how long it takes all the
 alcohol to cook out of a dish _after_ it is brought to the boiling point? >>

Actually my disagreement on the alcohol issue is not based on disagreement
with the tests (providing they  were not based on rediculous procedures such
as the pnes proving saccharin is unsafe). My objectio0n is that the dishes
where alcohol is used  most commonly as an ingredient  such as soups and
stews or roasted meats are , in fact, cooked for the lengthy time  that  has
been suggested as appropriate for alcohol removal thereby making the argument
 that the alcohol remaining is somehow significant a lie.

I also have yet to  recieve  ANY explanation as to why those  with
sensitivities to alcohol (such as allergic persons or ex-alcoholics)  can eat
yeast based products which  contain alcohol as a by-product of yeast growth
with impunity especially more so when  the  'tests' cited seem to have
completely avoided testing those products. Products, I might add, that are
not cooked for the lengthy time that  soups, etc. are cooked and therefore
havethe potential to contain far more alcohol than  those used in the actual
tests.

Also using 10 oz. of wine in a gallon of soup is insinificant even before the
vcooking process. If the wine is 10 per cent alcohol that means the 1o ounces
contain approximately 1 oz. of alcohol. Total volume of the soup would be 128
ounces soup stock plus 9 ounces non-alcohol wine plus 1 ounce alcohol equals
138 ounces total soup which equals 276 T. 1 ounce alcohol equal 2 T. If there
is only 10 percent of the alcohol left at the end of cooking then the total
alcohol left is .2 T. Considering an 8 oz. serving of soup, we now have 17.25
servings each of which contains .0117647058823529411764705882352941 T (or
.0039215686274509804 tsp.)  of alcohol. I find it inconcievable that such a
small amount (1/100 of a tablespoon or 3/100 of a teaspoon) has any
sighnificance whatsoever. These figures are accurate represemntations of the
so called high percentage (10) of alcohol remaining. Using the percentage
figure is inaccurate and not a little sensationalist, IMO.

Ras