SC - My first attempt at a period(ish) recipe. (Very Long!)

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 00:07:46 PST 2001

I see, in reading through the Florilegium, that this topic was a hot
one almost exactly 2 years ago, before i joined the list.

I see that just what was meant by "white peas", and even if the color
"white" was actually meant, is one of those Medieval mysteries, just
as is what is meant by "pea puree".

- ------

Here's a URL with some history, giving them an old pedigree in India
and pointing to the Spanish, as well as Africans, as bringing them to
the New World:
http://sarasota.extension.ufl.edu/FlaFoodFare/SouthPea.htm

- ----- cut & paste -----

Florida Food Fare
by Jean Meadows
Extension Agent IV
Cooperative Extension Service for Sarasota County

Southern Peas
as written for the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, Food Section, August, 29, 1998

the United States are called "Field peas", "Crowder Peas", "Purple
Hulls", "Cowpeas"  and "Black-eyes", but Southern Peas in the
preferred name.  There are three types of Southern peas: crowder,
black-eyed and cream. Crowders have a robust flavor and produce a
dark liquor when cooked.   Black-eyes have a less robust flavor that
produce a lighter liquor and cream peas are the mildest.

History:   originated in India as long as 3,000 years ago, they were
also a staple of Greek and Roman diets.  They were later grown in
Africa, then brought to America.   In India Southern peas are known
by 50 common names.  The black-eyed pea, also known as the cowpea, is
thought to have originated  in North Africa,  where it  has been
eaten for centuries.  The peas were probably introduced to the New
World by Spanish explorers and African slaves, and have become a
common food in the southern United States.  Southern peas also are
grown to improve soil fertility and structure.

Availability: Most areas of Florida are able to plant two crops a
year of Southern peas so they are available fresh in Florida almost
year round. Peas from north Florida are available on the market now.
Peas are also available in several forms: dried, fresh, canned and
frozen.

Selection and Care: If purchased in the shell, peas are best when
shelled and cooked immediately.  Although they will keep refrigerated
4-5 days, the peas will lose moisture to the pods.  "The fresher, the
better" is the key to ultimate flavor.  If you cannot find fresh peas
or do not want to shell them, then buy them frozen.  Frozen peas are
also excellent in flavor and far superior to the canned products.

I have not verified the accuracy of the above, but it sounds plausible...

Additionally, i see that white peas are still grown and used in India
- - and they even has "split white peas" - where they appear on
web-search to be known as matar (but that's just "pea" in general),
ghugni,  thattaipayir, and arveja. We've got LOTS of Indian and
Pakistani markets around here, so i'll go check them out and see if
they have white peas.

Anahita al-shazhiyya