SC - Re:A&S entry

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 23:10:08 PST 2001

Brangwayna Morgan wrote:
>I'm working on a recipe that calls for a couple of tablespoons of rice flour.
>  Is this just finely ground rice, or is it something different?

It is a flour made of white rice, which i'd say is more than just
finely ground.

>If it is
>something different, does anyone know where I can buy it?  I don't recall
>ever seeing it in the supermarket...

Hmmm, where i live you can find it in the supermarket in the Japanese
section. If they don't have such things where you live, try a natural
food store or Asian food store - East Asian, Southeast Asian, Indian.

It does not behave like wheat flour (no gluten, i think). I have
added it to pancakes and various Southeast Asian fried batter
thingies to make them crispier.

It also makes nice desserts, such as the Indian firni, which is rice
flour cooked with milk and sugar until thick, flavored with
rosewater, chilled until sorta firm, and served with naturally green
pistachios on top, VERY refreshing after a hot and spicy meal.

Anahita