SC - Macaroni and Cheese NOT OT NOR OOP!

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 30 16:20:36 PST 2001

margali wrote:

> The almond butter sounds like you cook up a 'pudding' or 'custard
> pudding' or sometimes also called a 'cooked custard' which is cream and
> egg cooked over a double boiler and stirring constantly to a consistency
> like Jell-O pudding. Hanging it in a bag would be a good way to separate
> out the water component of the eggs and cream, leaving essentially
> butterfat, an yolk solids. When you beat up the almonds, rosewater and
> sugar, you are taking essentially almond paste and thinning it out with
> rosewater into a creamy consistency like that of the cooked custard.
> Mixing the 2 should give you something like blending together almond
> paste made creamy and Jell-O pudding, or a slightly more solid and
> slightly grainy pudding.

Now that you mention it, it's rather a lot like some versions of
frangipane cream. However, it's also fairly atypical among the almond
butter recipes I've seen, most of which involve taking almond milk and
curdling it softly with wine or vinegar, then draining it slightly for a
soft almond butter, or more for a firmer almond cheese.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com