SC - Estrella

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Jan 30 19:20:31 PST 2001

Was written:

>I think the area of distinction, at least at some point when there was a
>clear distinction, was that possets were thickened with grain, as a
>rule, while caudles are thickened with eggs. I'm sure there are
>exceptions, but in general that seems to be the difference.

The one posset from Martha Washington I did was thickened with egg.  The
ingredient list as I remember it is as follows:

egg yolk 14
egg white 7
heavy cream 1 pint
sugar ? (don't remember the quantity)
sherry 1 cup
nutmeg
ambergis (didn't have it, didn't use it, don't know where to get it, don't
know any sick sperm whales)

No grain.

If anyone has a copy they might check the other recipes and what Ms. Hess
says.

Daniel Raoul