SC - Surviving Estrella War

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Tue Jan 30 19:25:05 PST 2001

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> Because it was an exhibition, not a competition, there was no
> formal judging and no "winners".  However, Her Majesty, who is a
> great supporter of A&S, has been handing out favors to those
> entries which particularly please her.  It is a golden lyre
> embroidered on blue cloth (raw silk, I think), and it is meant to
> honor those who, in the Queen's judgment, "exemplify the fire and
> passion of East Kingdom Arts and Sciences".

> I gaped, I stared, and I babbled like an idiot at a certain Laurel who
> was passing by and mistook my shock for distress.  For a
> moment, I couldn't remember what that blue thing was called.  So I
> pointed at the Golden Lyre hanging from her belt.  "There's a... on
> my... thing!"  When I finally managed to communicate in something
> resembling English, she said, "Oh, are you Brighid?  Her Majesty
> was really blown away by your work."

"A buh. A buh buh. Da buh buh," said Brighid in response... or words to
that effect.

I would have given anything to have seen it. Congratulations! And I will
call up this image, and use it, to see the fifteen people at any given
moment who will say there's nothing at all wrong with a good
competition, and why do we need exhibitions, and raise them one... I
have always said, if even one person comes forth with beautiful work we
wouldn't know existed because they didn't want it in competition, all
the effert for all the non-competitive exhibitions will have been worth it.

Adamantius (chuckling)
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com