SC - OOP - recipe request

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 10 10:48:07 PST 2001

> >What are you saying here?  Tenderloin and skirt steak are two completely
> >different cuts from two completely different areas of the cow.
> >Just curious.
> >Olwen
>
>Just out of curiousity, what area would house the skirt steak ?  I've never
>heard that term before.
>/Angus

Skirt Steak;
Cut from the beef flank, the skirt steak is the diaphragm muscle (which lies
between the abdomen and chest cavity). It's a long, flat piece of meat
that's flavorful but rather tough. Properly cooked, skirt steak can be quite
tender and delicious. It can either be quickly grilled, marinated,
tenderized, stuffed, rolled and braised. Recently, skirt steak has become
quite fashionable in Southwestern dishes.
Short Loin;
Of the major wholesale cuts of beef, this is the most tender. It lies in the
middle of the back between the sirloin and the rib, and the muscles in this
section do little that could toughen them. The two main muscles in the short
loin are the tenderloin and the top loin. The elongated tenderloin muscle
(when separated from the bone and the rest of the short loin) can be sold as
tenderloin roasts  (often labeled CHATEAUBRIANDS), or cut into TOURNEDOS; or
FILET MIGNON steaks. The top loin muscle with the bone attached is called a
CLUB STEAK. When removed from the bone, the same muscle is marketed as New
York  (or Kansas City ) STRIP STEAK; or DELMONICO STEAK. When the bone is
left in and portions of both the tenderloin and top loin muscles are
included, the short loin is the source of PORTERHOUSE STEAKS and T-BONE
STEAKS.

Hope this helps
Olwen