SC - Rose Water - now orange blossom water

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 20 00:07:50 PST 2001

Ilia said:
> Great! It sounds like the orange flower water would be nice to have on hand. I have Digbie, though I have perused it mostly for the meads. There is only one version of it, right? I picked up a book titled something like "Penns family recipies", and it looks like there is supposed to be another volume for medicinal remedies, but I cant seem to find it.
>
> I still need to aquire Cariadoc's two-volume collection.

Yes, I would do that. Of course it has no redactions, but it is a wonderful
resource for original recipes.

You might also want to look through some of the files in the FOOD-BOOKS
section of the Florilegium. There are a number of reviews and bibliographies
there that you might find useful in picking out your next period cookbooks.
A few of the files are:
books-food-msg    (82K) 12/ 4/00    Books about food. Not cookbooks.
cb-novices-msg    (13K) 10/14/98    Cookbooks for those new to medieval cooking.
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (37K)  4/20/00    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
cb-rv-Platina-msg (16K)  4/11/00    Reviews of cookbooks having Platina recipes.
cb-rv-Taillvt-msg  (9K)  7/14/99    Reviews of books having TailleventÌs recipes
cookbooks-bib     (32K)  4/21/97    Cookbook bibliography by Jaelle of Armida.
cookbooks-SCA-msg (27K)  9/29/00    Cookbooks written by people in the SCA.

And to buy all these lovely goodies:
merch-cookbks-msg (10K)  8/31/99    Merchants selling period cookbooks.

And we now have a number of period cookbooks and Master Cariadoc's
Miscellany becoming available on the web. This file gives information
on some of these:
online-ckbks-msg  (12K)  1/ 5/01    Online versions of period cookbooks.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net