SC - raingear (OT)

Luanne Cupp Bartholomew luanne at bartholomew.com
Mon Jan 22 22:29:33 PST 2001

Stefan wrote:
> I've had poor luck trying to felt wool, probably
> because I'm choosing the wrong wool, but my choices
> have been limited down here in Texas.

If you are truly interested in the whys and wherefores of felted
wool, I suggest you post to the SCA-Garb or H-Costume lists.
Lotsa experts there.

Basically, it has to do with the way the wool is prepared before
spinning. Worsted wool (yes, the stuff from which most modern
men's suits are made) are spun so the fibers are caught tightly
in the yarn and so the fabric does not felt easily. The other way
of preparing and spinning wool leaves a lot of fuzzy loose ends,
which easily tangle into felt on the surface of the fabric.

Irmele

- -------
Lady Irmele von Grünsberg
Darach, Caid