SC - stuffed avocados

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 9 21:06:12 PST 2001

My wife and I went to Trudy's today for lunch. Compared to
Saturday night, with an hour to an hour and a half wait, we just
walked in at lunch. Course it was about 1:15 or so.

And my wife had the stuffed avocado and loved it. Unfortunately,
this was a special item and is only supposed to be there until
January 14th. My wife is now saying she WILL go back before it
ends, with or without me. The waiter did say the reason it isn't
a regular item is that prices on avocados go up and down so much.
So maybe it will return later.

Thanks for mentioning this Shu'la, I think...

I think this discussion of stuffed avocados may highlight
what some folks have been saying about period foods. Just
because they had the ingredients doesn't mean they combined
them the way *we* think is obvious. The hamburger or hotdog
and bun for instance. We've had avocados and certainly the
chicken and we've been frying things like chili rellanos
and jalopeno peppers for awhile, but this appears to be the
first I've heard of frying, stuffed avocados.

Stefan

> - --- "Sara K. Tallarovic" <electricfish at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
> > On the topic of avocados, there is a restaurant here
> > in Austin that serves
> > a dish called "Stuffed Avocado" (Trudy's North Star,
> > for anyone in the
> > area).  It is an avocado halved (peeled, too), then
> > filled with shredded
> > chicken, battered, and deep fried.  It is absolutely
> > heavenly...the avocado
> > looses none of its texture or flavor in the deep
> > frying.  I can't figure
> > out exactly how they do it, or how I might replicate
> > it at home.  Any ideas?
> >
> > -Shu'la
>
> If you could give me the address of the restaurant, I
> will write a letter to a column in the LA Times called
> "Culinary SOS" to which people write letters asking
> for recipes from restaurants and stuff like that.
> Since avocado is a very California thing, there is a
> good likelyhood that I could get a response from the
> column.
>
> Huette

- --
THL Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net