SC - Brag

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 31 09:34:23 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 30 Jan 01, , that Sue Clemenger wrote:

> <G> Just goes to show what great taste Her Majesty has....and I agree
> with her, just based on what I've seen you post....all that work you've
> done is _beyond_ amazing...

Thank you.  I was surprised, not because I doubt that my work is
useful and competently done, but because

> In all the years I've been in the SCA, I've
> rarely seen quite the level of dedication among artisans that I have on
> this list, and you're certainly one of them.

It's not hard to be dedicated to something you enjoy doing.  There
are a lot of areas in which I only do the minimum.  Garb, for
instance.  I am not good at sewing and do not enjoy it, so I have a
small basic wardrobe of early-period clothing.  I cannot imagine
ever staying up all night to finish a spectacular gown for an event.  I
admire those who do.

I also think that we tend to take our own strengths for granted.  My
lord husband is brilliant at math.  He does calculus sometimes for
amusement, the way other people might do a crossword puzzle.  In
grade school, he did not think that skill at math was anything
significant, because math was *easy*.  I flee from anything more
complicated than basic algebra, but languages have always come
easily to me.  And I like food.  :-)

> Congratulations.
> --Maire (not trying to butter anyone up, just want to be like _that_
> when I grow up....;oP)

Grow up?  I hope that's not a requirement, 'cause I'm not ready to
do that yet.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann