[Sca-cooks] Libre de totes maneres de confits (Early CB projects)

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 1 14:43:08 PDT 2001

> Thomas, Faraudo says in his introduction that the confits-text comes
> from MS 21-2-19 of the Biblioteca Universitaria de Barcelona (15th c.)
> and that there is also a "Libre de totes maneres de potages de menjar"
> in this manuscript, following the confits-passage. Did you see this
> manuscript during your visit to Barcelona?
>
> Best,
> Thomas

Yes, I did! In fact, MS 21-2-19 is also referred to as MS 68. It is the work
immediately preceeding the Barcelona ms of the Libre de Sent Sovi (LSS). I
was able to obtain a photocopy of "confits" without too much begging
(although the Special Reserves librarian there seemed bemused that some
American from Richmond, Virginia, would be so enthusiastic about medieval
Catalan cuisine). I got some digital photographs of both "confits" and the
LSS, but I was only allowed to use ambient light (and no flash, of course)
in the Reserves reading room, which was rather dark, so the photos are
rather grainy.

About Faraudo's description of the mss. The first line of "confits"
identifies it as the *fourth* book of confits, however the other three do
not preceed it, anywhere in the codex. He says the last work in the codex is
the "Libre de totes maneres de potages..." I didn't get to spend any real
time focused on it, and couldn't obtain a satisfactory photocopy because
their one machine broke at the worst possible time (doesn't it always?).
Unfortunately, I was on a very tight schedule, and had to spend most of my
time working on the LSS. If I hadn't lost three, very valuable, weekdays
negotiating with the Library of Catalunya for access to the Special
Reserves, I'd have had time to devote to the rest of MS 68 over at the
University of Barcelona. Still, I got photocopies of MS 2112 from the
Library of Catalunya and the Libre de totes maneres de confits from the
University Library of Barcelona, and had an opportunity to study those works
and the LSS. They offered to let me continue working on MS 68, until the
microfilm copier was fixed later that week, but that was Monday evening, and
I had to leave early, early on Tuesday morning.

This isn't a complaint. As a non-credentialed amateur, I feel extremely
fortunate to have had the opportunity work with the originals, to touch
them, to gaze at the letters on those fine, buff pages. And frankly, I think
the librarians were (mostly) happy to help someone who considered it such a
treat. I just had a lot of research to accomplish in as much time as I could
afford. The rest will have to wait for my next trip...

Tom