[Sca-cooks] Victoria Sponge Cake--OOP OT

Lisbeth Herr-Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Jul 2 16:38:56 PDT 2001

Even now, 50 years later, English fruitcake is a staple at many weddings. Mum brought home some wedding-type fruitcake in a little box (the point of which was to place it under the pillow and dream of your future bridegroom). This was actually Groom's cake, but it appears at the wedding reception.The very thought of fruit-cake type wedding cakes would send many American wedding planning mothers into a French Fit (sorry, but it seemed apt). My own grandmother is revered for her Dundee, and is titled "Matriarch and Keeper of the One True Recipe" amongst us lesser cousins, which, incidentally, is quite a feat for a cockney woman who never set foot in Dundee.

As in most countries during most historical periods, one segment of the population is busy experimenting with "new" food techniques while another is busy "preserving traditional techniques". That's what makes this a fun game, gastronomically speaking.

Adamantius wrote:
>......but then this vocational
>school textbook from the 1950's UK .... seems >to equate "cake" with fruitcake. Including, I >might add, wedding cakes, which are simply >gloriously decorated fruitcakes. I
>wonder whether there may be, on some level, a >view of sponge cakes as
>being more pudding than cake (probably >distinguished by whether you make
>them at home or buy them at the baker's?).

Got it in one!

>Adamantius (who remembers the faces of some >of his wedding guests when
>the cake was cut open)

OK, I'll bite. What was the big surprise?

Cheers

Aoife

"History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are." -David
McCullough

"History is a vast early warning system."-Norman
Cousins

"History is the record of an encounter between character and circumstance." -Donald Creighton