[Sca-cooks] victoria

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jul 16 08:36:11 PDT 2001

Elysant1 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/13/01 3:33:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> grizly at mindspring.com writes:
>
> << Little Debbie Stawberry Shortcake, Swiss Cake Rolls, and the various
> filled cakey things... >>
>
> I've used such products chopped up in the bottom of trifles, so as a Brit I
> guess they don't drive me too crazy ;-)
>
> Elysant

I have seen, with my own eyes, self-contained, all-inclusive packets of
instant trifle mix (possibly made by the Bird's people?), consisting of
an envelope of instant custard mix, a compressed sponge cake thingy
vaguely resembling one of those compressed sponges that puff up when you
add water, and an envelope of fruit goo.

Of course, any resemblance between the above and real trifle is purely
accidental, so this is not intended as any kind of slur on the cuisine
in question.

While Americans do have the odd food to be embarrassed about, so does
everybody else, and in the grand scheme of things, Little Debby Snack
Cakes are fairly small potatoes...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy