[Sca-cooks] I think I found it!!! Re: rabbit dish

Prydwen gryphon at carlsbadnm.com
Tue Jul 3 09:41:25 PDT 2001

I hope this is the one that you are looking for...8^)

Prydwen

At 11:53 AM 7/3/2001 +0100, you wrote

>Stefan, does it have my Hare/Coney Broth redaction in it?
>My work PC crashed and I lost all my email archives & addresses which
>included the only copy I have of that recipe. As well as almost 4 years
>worth of SCA Cooks messages. <grr> Darn computers! At least I had my SCA
>stuff and cookbook backed up on another drive <sigh>. Just not the bunny
>redaction.
>Ciao
>Lucrezia

Here's a repost of the recipe (please note that this is a reasonably warm &
spicy version because I like it that way, but you might want to tone the
spicing down):
Saluti!
Original - Translation Janet Hinson:
Hare Broth.
First, cut the hare through the breast: and if it is freshly taken, that is
no more than one or two days since, do not wash it, but put it on the grill,
that is roast it over a good coal fire or on the spit; then have cooked
onions and fat in a pot, and add your onions to the fat and your hare in
pieces, and fry them over the fire, shaking the pot very frequently, or fry
them on the griddle. Then heat and toast bread and moisten in stock with
vinegar and wine: and have ginger, grain, clove, long pepper, nutmegs and
cinnamon ground beforehand, and let them be ground and mixed with verjuice
and vinegar or meat stock; gather them up, and set to one side. Then grind
up your bread, mixed with stock, and sieve the bread and not the spices, and
add stock, the onions and fat, spices and toasted bread, cook all together,
and the hare also; and be sure the broth is brown, sharpened with vinegar,
mixed with salt and spices.
Coney [Rabbit] Broth as above.
Lucrezia's Redaction:
1 wild rabbit (precut into 6) 2 onions, sliced
4 slices white bread, decrusted Goosefat
100 ml good red wine vinegar 1 C decent red wine
2 TB verjuice 2 C non-UK beef consumme
Spices:
1 healthy pinch ginger 1/2 tsp grains of paradise
1 healthy pinch cloves 1/2 tsp long pepper
1 healthy pinch nutmeg 1/2 tsp cinnamon
(yeah, you can guess my favorite spices, can't you?)
1. Grill the rabbit until browned.
2. Cook 2 onions (I boiled mine, but I think roasting would be good too)
and then slice them.
3. Add the rabbit and onions to a pan with some fat and fry.
4. While this is happening, toast the 4 slices of bread and roughly break
it into pieces, adding the 1 cup of red wine and 100 ml vinegar and a little
stock/consumme to it and let soak.
5. Mix the ground up spices with the rest of the 2 cups of stock/consumme
and 2 TB verjuice and let soak.
6. Grind up the wine-soaked bread and pass through a metal sieve.
7. Add the spices & stock/consumme, the bread, the onions, fat and hare
together in a pan and cook for an hour and a half on a medium low heat. (If
you need more liquid - though you shouldn't - add the onion water)
8. Ten minutes before serving, season with salt and add enough vinegar to
give the broth an edge.
9. Enjoy!
Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
Lucrezia