[Sca-cooks] Re Central Market in Washington

Deb Schumacher deb at chicagojo.com
Tue Jul 3 08:15:07 PDT 2001

Stefan wondered ...

>, is this another one of the "Central Markets" that first started here
>in Austin, run by the H.E.B. grocery store?

>If so, this is a wonderful store. (Central Market). Its the only place
>I've seen some of the items mentioned here on this list. Vegemite,
>Seville Oranges, double cream, quinces, fresh smoked fish (as opposed
>to canned, smoked fish) and lemon curd to name a few.

No actually it looks like its not, I looked into it a little bit,  and found
websites for both stores, but found nothing relating.

I found the Central Market through the Seattle Food Lovers guide a very
tasty little treasure I picked up at the local cheese place.  Central Market
reminds me of Whole foods only less crowded, less branded , if that makes
sense. They've got a wide variety of produce, meat and fish,  purposly
limiting the amount of  dry goods they carry to allow then to  focus on
whats fresh and in season. I've seen vegemite, clotted cream, quark, produce
like lychee, taro root, lotus roo, no quinces but they did have fresh
Durian.

Zoe