[Sca-cooks] Class Notes Revisited

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jul 3 07:07:35 PDT 2001

In a message dated 6/22/01 12:18:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Alban at socket.net writes:

<< With the proviso, as you've already noticed, that already-copyrighted
 materials might be a problem, and that unless permission has already
 been granted, such things won't be reprinted on the Web? >>

I really do not see the problem here. While certainly it would be courteous
to ask permission to use copyrighted materials, copyright law clearly
provides that such material CAN be used for educational purposes. Class notes
and writings are clearly educational in nature and the SCA is a nonprofit
educational organization.

I think that sometimes we make problems where no problem exists. I see no
valid reason why this material cannot be posted with the statement that it is
class material and that it is provided for educational purposes only since
copyright law specifically makes an exemption for such material. If  a
bibliography is also posted with the notes and the originating /source author
is sited (including copyright info, e.g. Puffs and Poofs for Festive
Occasions: A Historical Perspective, pg. 854, Joe Blow, copyright 1978
Yadda-Yadda Press) along with a warn that the  material in the class article
is not to be used for any further purpose other than educational purposes,
any problems, if they exist, would certainly be minimalized or become
nonexistent.

Ras